[tdwg-tag] class design, generalization, L(O)D

Chuck Miller Chuck.Miller at mobot.org
Tue Nov 16 00:18:29 CET 2010

The universe that TDWG sets out to support is getting wider and wider.  In a way, the needs of the community have become a moving target and may continue to move, making the target very difficult to hit.  I think the temptation is great to be disappointed with not keeping up, but realistically TDWG is doing a pretty good job of going after all the many directions.  There have been successes and they didn't vanish because some new needs have come along.

It's clear to me that any "one size fits all" approach will never work for biodiversity informatics standards.  There are several  "kinds" of audience, multiple overlapping and even orthogonal use cases, and multiple levels of capability and interest within this very broad community. Recognizing these segments of the world to which standards need to apply will be an important part of the TDWG future.  And that recognition I suppose means some tolerance is called for from all sides to acknowledge the existence of other sides.  That makes solutions even tougher though.  But, we need to take it on nevertheless.

Chuck