[tdwg-tag] class design, generalization, L(O)D

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 23:33:44 CET 2010

I would have to agree Stan.  For all its faults TDWG has produced
standards that were/are useful.

The Australia's Virtual Herbarium would not have been possible without
the efforts and products of TDWG and the herbarium community still
rusns on this.  The Online Catalog of Australian Museums and the Atlas
of Living Australia extended this nationally and GBIF and EoL are
doing the same thing globally.

The standards may be incomplete, maybe flaky, they may not even work,
but they provide the foundation of communications and we are much
better off with slightly borked standards than with none at all.

But the criticism of TDWG sitting a bit awkwardly and self-contained
in the wider standards framework is a valid one and something we are
working to address.  I have always assumed this is one of the guiding
principles of TDWG.

I prefer the analogy of motivating jelly tpo to stay nailed to the wall.  :)

jim