[tdwg-tag] namespaces

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:26:14 CET 2010

Absolutely right Steve and for this reason alone we should not
entertain this idea. TDWG should   convey a feeling of clarity and
inviting an opportunity for brand confusion does not help.

As an aside, I don't think naming standards after people or places is
a good move, Darwin Core being a case in point. As far as I know
Darwin made no contribution to biodiversity or collections information
management, the idea was not conceived in Darwin and I've lost count
of the number of times people have tripped up on the assonance with
Dublin Core. It was a bad move at the time but I think we somehow
stuck with it. :)

Jim (who proposed Wallace Core as a working title for an ontology
project, to stick it to that glory seeker Darwin and because the
abbreviation WC: was somehow descriptive of where things were going)

--
Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~

Please send URIs, not attachments: