[tdwg-tag] Referring to GBIF distribution map in RDF

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tue May 11 11:11:07 CEST 2010

Dear Roger,

On 11 May 2010, at 09:42, Roger Hyam wrote:

> Hi Rod,
>
> What we were talking about the other days (and indeed in the
> corridors of last years TDWG) is the need for a polygon repository.
> It would be really nice is someone (GBIF?) ran a geoserver that you
> could register polygons with and once registered they were given a
> nice URI and became semantically linkable with their metadata in
> RDF. This would obviously need long term commitment. I'd do it if I
> had funding....
>
> Within PESI we were talking about it in terms of the TDWG regions
> and possibly extending them to maritime regions but really there are
> endless lists of polygons - like the IUCN protected areas or how
> about the oil spill effected areas etc etc.

This would be useful, it could also contain polygons of species
distributions (say from RedList).

> This probably doesn't answer your question!
>
> Another approach would be to have a literal property with a value
> that is a Well-known text of the distribution.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text
>
> This is the approach taken by DwC.
>
> You could use the DwC property or make one up such as
> rod:hasFootprint="POLYGON ((10 20, 11 20, 11 21, 10 21, 10 20))"

That's what I'm using at the moment, dwc:footprintWKT (as well as
another vocabulary to describe the points). Just toggle the display at http://bioguid.info/csquare/
, or use a linked data client to get the RDF.

> You can use multipoint and other ways to describe the distribution
> data with well known text.
>
> I am sure there are semantic and geospatial people who would object
> to almost any approach!

Yep. One thing I like about c-squares is that the URI is computable
from a pair of co-ordinates. Given a lat,long pair you can compute the
c-square. This makes it possible to do basic search and indexing on
the URI, plus you don't need to search a service to construct the URI.

For larger, more complex polygons I guess we'd loose this (lots of
ways to represent a polygon, fewer chances of identity or containment).

Might be fun to think about this, as I'd like to mash up GBIF squares,
GenBank points, and IUCN ploygons...

Regards

Rod

> Good luck
>
> Roger
>

> On 10 May 2010, at 16:11, Roderic Page wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I'm interested in referring to a GBIF distribution map in RDF, and am
>> having fun figuring out how to do it. One way is to use a c-squares-
>> based URI, see http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2010/05/referring-to-one-degree-s
>> quare-in-rdf.html (http://tinyurl.com/33ba4kt).
>>
>> The idea is that each 1° × 1° square in a GBIF map has it's own c-
>> squares-based URI, e.g. http://bioguid.info/csquare:3317:364 , and
>> hence a distribution would be a list of these URIs (perhaps with the
>> number of records from each square).
>>
>> Any thoughts on this approach, and whether we have an existing
>> vocabulary to describe these relationships?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Rod

>> Roderic Page
>> Professor of Taxonomy