[tdwg-tag] time and space namespaces in Darwin Core

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 9 16:46:58 CEST 2010

The reason is simple, we want to help data publishers. It doesn't help data
publishers if they can't publish what they have - it would mean there is no
room for data improvement tools. That would be sad. Worse, most people
haven't a clue what a datum is, or how it can ruin your whole day (or life,
in at least one sad case of a crashed helicopter in Patagonia). Given this
naiveté, people would simply put whatever geographic coordinates they have
into geo:lat/lon and no one would have any way to know that they are
incorrect.

Note that Darwin Core offers data publishers options to publish event
information with year, month, day, startDayOfYear, endDayOfYear, and
verbatimEventDate in addition to eventDate and eventTime - same philosophy.