[tdwg-tag] time and space namespaces in Darwin Core

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 24 22:44:15 CEST 2010

Catching up on this diverse thread...

I suspect the sources for coordinates the BioBlitz will be phones and GPS
receivers. I don't know of any phone application or consumer GPS receiver
that provides coordinates in a reference system other than WGS84 by
default. As Peter suggests, under these assumptions it would be fine to
capture geo:lat, geo:long, and dwc:coordinateUncertaintyInMeters in the
field. The expression of these data in Darwin Core would be
dwc:decimalLatitude: dwc:decimalLongitude, dwc:geodeticDatum=WGS84
or wc:geodeticDatum=epsg:4326, dwc:coordinateUncertaintyInMeters.

It would be a nice educational exercise to assess the parameters of the
devices before starting to use them to take data. What are the accuracies of
those phones compared to the GPSs? And of the GPSs compared to reality and
to their theoretical (and ephemeral) accuracy readings?

For completeness one could add the other georeference metadata fields meant
to provide completeness (strictly for educational purposes, of course), but
I won't push it.