[tdwg-tag] LSID-GUID Draft Document

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 01:58:59 CET 2009

I am concerned that someone will now look at my proposals and say "isn't
this just a rehash of what was proposed in the TDWG LSID-GUID Document and
at the 2009 TDWG meeting?"

When in fact the opposite is true.

There are parts of this draft that are simply reiterations of what I have
proposed in several talks and online.

For example " "The ambiguities inherent in taxon name usage are described
elsewhere. For example, biodiversity researchers ask whether two specimens
with different name strings are believed to be of the same taxonomic group.
The availability of identifiers for name strings, published names and taxon
concepts...

http://about.geospecies.org/

This advantage is best illustrated by an example:

One biologist may refer to a specimen of the Eastern Tree Hole
Mosquito as *Ochlerotatus
triseriatus*. Another may refer to that same species as *Aedes triseriatus*.
They both agree they are talking about the same species concept; however,
they are assigning different taxonomic hypotheses to that species concept.
[image: Species Attribute Diagram]

In addition the diagram of linked data basically mirrors what I have had in
the GeoSpecies Knowledge Base for nearly a year.

However, it fails to mention GeoSpecies at all.

I'd recommend that the draft follow scientific standards and acknowledge
previous work.

Pete DeVries <http://spiders.entomology.wisc.edu/pjd/index.html>
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison