[tdwg-tag] Darwin Core term management - dc:type, basisOfRecord, and recordClass

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 18 05:15:43 CET 2009

Dear TAG,

On 23 October a solution to existing problems with the use of
dwc:basisOfRecord and dcterms:type as published in the current Darwin
Core standard was proposed. Discussions on tdwg-content leading up to
and since that proposal support the addition of a term called
recordClass as the pragmatic approach that requires less ongoing
management than an alternative invoking a new type vocabulary. This
message is to forge the way to the first Darwin Core term changes
following the published Namespace Policy
(http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/namespace/index.htm#classesofchanges).
The proposed changes fall under two of the classes of changes, 3.3
(Semantic changes in Darwin Core terms) and 3.4 (Addition of Darwin
Core terms declarations to existing Darwin Core namespaces). I propose
to draft Decisions (see
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/decisions/index.htm) for review
by the TAG following the 30-day prescribed review period (next week).
I just wanted to send this introductory message in anticipation to
open up the floor for any questions or commentary, as this is the
first time this process has been invoked.

John