[tdwg-tag] e-Biosphere 09 Challenge: visualising biodiversity digitisation in real time

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 27 02:10:04 CEST 2009

Dear All,

As many of you know, e-Biosphere '09 is on next week in London, and
the organisers have issued a bioinformatic challenge. Since challenges
tend to focus my mind, I'm entering a tool that aggregates and
displays biodiversity digitisation in "real time". The organisers were
keen on "real time", and this is not an easy thing to do (unless we're
in the middle of a flu pandemic). However, there's enough happening in
our field the space of a month (and even a week) to give people a
sense of what is going on.

To this end I've created  http://bioguid.info/ebio09/www/3d/ , which
aggregates RSS feeds (mostly from http://bioguid.info/rss ), does some
geotagging, then uses Poly9's Globe to display the result (inspired by
David Troys http://twittervision.com).

I've put some background up at http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2009/05/e-biosphere-challenge-visualising.html
  . I welcome any comments, and suggestions for improvements, extra
feeds, etc. I plan to have this updated during the conference.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy