[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken - role for TDWG?

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Mon Mar 23 12:34:15 CET 2009

Perhaps the question is whether LSIDs are a hurdle to adoption of the
use of GUIDs or an aid to it.

DOIs are not just a technology they are a business model plus a
technology (they use HANDLE for the technology). It is worth the
client overcoming technical difficulties in their use because of the
value added by the publisher paying for the associated
infrastructure.  I would argue that DOIs/HANDLE are, in fact, a
complete pain because they don't integrate well with semantic web
technologies but that they are carried along purely by the business
model.

In advocating the use of LSIDs we are advocating the pain without the
benefits. Just like DOIs they are awkward and non-standard to set up.
They need to be constantly explained. They don't work in semantic web
technologies. They don't even integrate with XML (could you host an
XML Schema on an LSID?). All this would be OK if they had an
associated business model - but they don't.

My personal belief is that we should either put together a business
model (with the financial backing of big projects and within the next
few months) where some core services are provided by a third party or
we should drop LSIDs altogether. Alas I fear the big projects are more
interested in data volume and pretty pictures than doing good science
and providing basic services (I am being contentious for emphasis so
don't take it personally).

 From the technical perspective this:

urn:lsid:zoobank.org:act:8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04F67C3FBEC

is far harder than this:

http://purl.zoobank.org/8BDC0735-FEA4-4298-83FA-D04F67C3FBEC

so we need a good business case for doing the former. What is it?

All the best,

Roger