[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken - role for TDWG?

Donald.Hobern at csiro.au Donald.Hobern at csiro.au
Tue Mar 31 04:38:57 CEST 2009

Some thoughts on where I think we should be going with LSIDs...

My take is still that having something that is a standard identifier scheme is a major benefit and it is not a big stretch for us to recognise that <ResolverURL><Identifier> should be considered the same as <Identifier> for purposes of inferring identity.  I still believe that it would be a total disaster for us simply to say that we advocate the use of PURL-style identifiers, since this is a slippery slope with no separation between a good identifier and a web-server-du-jour URL with no planned persistence.  Vince Smith's blog is a reminder that relying even on institutional domain names is risky.

I believe that we need to get behind providing solid infrastructure for LSIDs.  This should be aimed at making it as easy as possible for any provider to set up LSIDs without touching their own DNS records unless they want to do so.  We should have a central service which does the central registration part of what DOI.org does for DOIs, BUT NOT AT THE LEVEL OF INDIVIDUAL LSIDs.  We are trying to establish something like this here in Australia under the taxonomy.org.au domain.  This could be done at a global, national or community level.  What is needed is simply the following:

1. A trusted party (TDWG, GBIF, EOL, ALA, etc.) commits to handle the DNS resolution side of LSIDs for any data providers wishing to use its services.

2. Any provider can register a dataset with the trusted party and will receive a corresponding LSID namespace to use in their identifiers.  To register the dataset they need to be able to provide a parameterised URL which takes a single parameter - either the full LSID for the record, or just the final record-id part of the LSID (this could be a configuration choice when registering the data set) - and which returns the corresponding data record as RDF (if we don't drive the use of structured data with GUIDs, we are not solving anything, but there could be an option to return the records to the trusted party in some simpler format and for the trusted party to generate the RDF).

3. The trusted party registers itself in DNS as the resolver for LSIDs for its domain and hosts a resolver implementation which extracts the LSID namespace from LSIDs and forwards the request to the appropriate data provider with either the record-id or the whole LSID as a parameter.  The trusted party also hosts an HTTP LSID proxy and prepends the proxy URL to all identifiers in RDF documents.

A working example with TDWG as the trusted party and an NHM Sphingidae data set as the data set to be shared.

A. TDWG registers lsid.tdwg.org in DNS as an LSID service.

B. NHM registers a TAPIR database (or whatever CGI interface they like) for their Sphingidae database using the namespace "nhm.sphingidae" and the endpoint "http://nhm.ac.uk/tapir/sphingidae?op=s&...&darwin:GUID=%S" (where %S is to be replaced with the actual request GUID).

C. NHM populates its records with GUID values of the pattern "urn:lsid:lsid.tdwg.org:nhm.sphingidae:<record-id>"

D. A user follows a link http://lsid.tdwg.org/urn:lsid:lsid.tdwg.org:nhm.sphingidae:12345 and hits the LSID resolver.  The LSID resolver maps "nhm.sphingidae" to the NHM endpoint and requests the record, which it then returns to the user.

This could be enhanced in many different ways to make it more robust and flexible:

1. As mentioned, the trusted party could map other formats to RDF (indeed it could have templates for embedding data in Darwin Core, etc.).

2. The trusted party could automatically prepend LSIDs in response data with references to its own proxy so that early 21st century WWW technology works as expected.

3. The trusted party could add additional services around hosted copies of the data and could manage a metadata record for the resource.

4. The trusted party could in fact use DOIs for the namespace part (in other words the NHM example would end up using something like urn:lsid.tdwg.org:10.1000/987:12345 as the identifier.  If the 10.1000/987 DOI served as a citable identifier for the dataset and could be resolved to get the metadata for the dataset, it could be elegant on several different levels.

This is really all so easy.  As mentioned, taxonomy.org.au has been going through the teething pains of doing this for an Australian therevid data set held in Mandala in Illinois.  I would hope that we could quickly roll this out as a service for any Australian data providers and then try deploying a similar set-up with TDWG, GBIF or EOL.

At least that's what I think...

One other basic point is that, if we abandon LSIDs and still want a GUID solution with some promise that the data could be relocated, we need a system which somewhere embeds the concepts of provider, dataset and record and can use these to track down the record.  This means we can't allow a total free-for-all on identifiers and need either a robust heavy central registry of records like DOI or need to have a standard place for these three elements in the GUID.  Once we get that far, we may as well adopt LSIDs even if we choose (as the major party using the model) to extend or even replace the models for resolving them.

Donald

Donald Hobern, Director, Atlas of Living Australia
CSIRO Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra, ACT 2601
Phone: (02) 62464352 Mobile: 0437990208
Email: Donald.Hobern at csiro.au
Web: http://www.ala.org.au/