[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken - role forTDWG?

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tue Mar 31 17:07:57 CEST 2009

I think it's one of the major failings of our community that we
haven't dealt with the issue (both technically and socially) of
providing stable, resolvable GUIDs for the things we care about, and
that each major initiative that comes along (e.g., GBIF, EOL) says
it's not their problem to solve. Creating shiny new web sites is
obviously more fun, but by comparison with what the publishing
industry has achieved with DOIs and CrossRef, we are a bunch of
amateurs.

Regards

Rod

On 31 Mar 2009, at 14:33, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2009, at 12:55 AM, Gregor Hagedorn wrote:
>
>> http://lsid.tdwg.org/urn:lsid:indexfungorum.org:names:510023 will
>> work
>> as a clickable link to a web resource and can be read by semantic web
>> machine reasoners.
>

> Incidentally, it doesn't because apparently the lsid.tdwg.org server
> is down.
>
> If we imagine a biodiversity semantic web where all LSIDs are proxied
> through http://lsid.tdwg.org that server better be set up in a way
> that it won't easily take down everything with it whenever it has a
> hiccup. Is TDWG committed to creating and supporting that
> infrastructure?
>
> 	-hilmar

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy