[tdwg-tag] NCBI taxonomy in RDF

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 23:41:14 CEST 2009

All very neat orderly.  But the real world is often not so.  APNI has
around 100 different kinds of ranks 'as published' and I think IPNI
may have as many as 150.  unrWhat is worse, some of these are
untransliterable symbols and other bespoke notation.

We have been discussing this thread here and as is common in matters
TDWG, have come away with less clarity and higher blood pressure than
when we started.

There seemed to be several topics embedded:

. the canonical list of (permissible?) ranks and their names and ranks
missisng from the list
. whether rank was an attribute (or part) of a name or a taxon concept
(or both) and whether it has or should have a different definition in
each context
. it was not always unambiguous when in the allowable continuum of
ranks (at least in botany) a particular rank could or should fit -
every rank has a position/parent rank, but how do you decide which
one?
. is it possible/allowable/correct to assign an intermediate immediate
parent rank where one may not have specified in the protologue (i.e.
putting it there because you know that is where it 'should be' as
opposed to where it 'is')
.etc...

whatever...  one thing is for sure - that rank string thingy is too
complicated and too important to be deprecated.

jim