[tdwg-tag] dwcterms (was: Embedding specimen (and other) annotations in NeXML)

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Tue Feb 24 18:58:27 CET 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 6:33 PM, John R. WIECZOREK wrote:

> [...]
> Following what Dublin Core does with type vocabulary for dcterms:type,
> the classes PreservedSpecimen, FossilSpecimen, LivingSpecimen, and
> others are terms that act as the controlled vocabulary for
> dwcterm:BasisOfRecord

That's a good idea. But do they then need to be included in the
dwcterms ontology? For someone looking at the dwcterms ontology in an
ontology editor it's not obvious that this would be their intended use.

As for the hierarchy, the problem I was trying to point out is that
the PreservedSpecimen that is the super-property of FossilSpecimen is
not the same PreservedSpecimen that is the sub-property of
PhysicalObject, because they have different URIs (http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/dwctype/PreservedSpecimen
  and http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/rdf/dwcterms.rdf#PreservedSpecimen,
respectively).

> [...] I have removed all references to the domain class 'none'.

Indeed, thanks!

> [...] The details of the relationship of Sample to other classes is
> left to implementation as there is more than one reasonable
> viewpoint - a Sample could be a property of a SamplingEvent

BTW did you inadvertently delete the Sample property? I can't find it
anymore, it's a class now. (But maybe that's what you intended?)

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :