[tdwg-tag] dwcterms (was: Embedding specimen (and other) annotations in NeXML)

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 26 20:52:36 CET 2009

Comments inline...

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at duke.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 3:44 PM, John R. WIECZOREK wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I think this is a result of not including
>> xmlns="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ in the rdf:RDF section. Now all
>> of those terms with IDs and no namespaces should have the
>> xmlns="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ namespace and the unintended
>> collision will go away. Correct?
>
> That doesn't help with that really. I think what you want here is using
> xml:base rather than xmlns="...".

Right. I have made it so.

>> [...]
>> Vocabulary has been removed to its own file
>> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/rdf/dwctype.rdf.
>
> Looks great, and the proper inheritance is there. Cool!
>
>> [...]
>> Updated the mime-types in the rs.tdwg.org repository. These had only
>> been set in the development repository.
>
> Oddly enough the mime-type is still text/html (maybe you need to tell apache
> to serve them with the right mime type?).

I don't have access to the web server configuration on TDWG site. Markus?
I wonder if you have the same issue from the development repository.
See http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/source/browse/trunk/rdf/dwctype.rdf
and
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/source/browse/trunk/rdf/dwcterms.rdf
Note the file properties.

> The http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/rdf/dwcterms.rdf has a syntax error now in the
> rdf:RDF element attributes - the last xmlns="..." attribute lacks the
> closing double quote, which of course makes the XML parser bomb.

Fixed.

> When I add that, the content looks great, except that all terms are
> duplicated, once with a local URI and once with the
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ URI. Replacing the last xmlns="..." attribute
> with xml:base (while keeping the value) fixes this partially. Terms are
> still duplicated, now once with and once without the leading hash but
> otherwise the same base URI.
>
> I can fix that by replacing rdf:ID with rdf:about. rdf:ID creates local
> instances, so maybe that's what you wanted to do, but if not, rdf:about
> would be the more appropriate attribute anyway (i.e., you are describing a
> resource, namely the term).

That is indeed what I want. Now it is done.

> After that, the only remaining issue is that term URIs with the
> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/ base URI don't resolve. They aren't mandated
> to, but using term URIs that don't resolve don't allow anyone to retrieve
> any semantics (or even the label). Can you instruct the web server (through
> redirect, for example) to make them resolve?

I can't, again because I don't have access to the web server. Markus?