[tdwg-tag] LSID Sourceforge URL & LSID Best Practices

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Aug 27 08:50:48 CEST 2009

OK, the message I'm getting is that:

1. It's perfectly acceptable for the public face of a major
biodiversity informatics project to be broken in a way that makes us
look amateurish.

2. TDWG must guarantee universal analysis at all times (even thought
China may, on a whim, ban access to any site it choses).

3. That TDWG is already using Google Code for Darwin Core (http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/
  ) is, of course, irrelevant to this discussion, as is the fact that
Google Code seems fine for GBIF (http://code.google.com/p/gbif-ecat/ )
and EOL (http://code.google.com/p/eol-website/ ) projects.

4. Nobody thought these issues were important when the original
project was set up on SourceForge  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge
  ).

5. That Greg Whitbread's puns are appalling.

I'm clearly too worked up about this, but all I'm looking for is a
simple fix to a simple problem. Instead, we're off on some tangent
about incorporation, instead of actually dealing with the issue at
hand. Perhaps I shouldn't get too bothered, and take this discussion
as tacit agreement that LSIDs are doomed anyway.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy