[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken - role for TDWG?

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 19:23:14 CEST 2009

I have several issues with LSIDs

1) I don't agree that life science data is "different" than geological,
meteorological, or chemical data.

2) The persistence of LSID identifiers is as problematic as URL based
identifiers. In fact, it is worse because

      the system adds an additional layer of poorly supported standards that
few people understand and

      even fewer implement correctly.

3) LSIDs increase the implementation costs significantly beyond the costs
required for domain registration and

     a web server. For most implementations you will need a additional
machine (virtual or otherwise) and someone

     who understands the intricacies of LSIDs.

4) Tim Berners-Lee feels that LSIDs are unnecessary, and after spending
several years looking at this issue I

     think he is right. Even if TBL is wrong, you have positioned yourself
for an uphill battle for adoption.

5) There is a well developed and widely adopted standard for integrating
data sets developed by the

    TBL and the  linked data community that addresses the needs of the TDWG
community.

For those who are not familiar with this initiative, check out the linked
data site at: http://linkeddata.org/

and Tim Berners-Lee recent talk at TED
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/tim_berners_lee_on_the_next_web.html

Respectfully,