[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken - role for TDWG?

Jonathan Rees jar at creativecommons.org
Fri Apr 3 20:28:07 CEST 2009

I've tried to stay out of this discussion out of respect for the large
amount of work the TDWG has already put into this issue, and the
sentiment I've heard expressed that everyone is sick of the argument
and revisiting it would be fatiguing and unpleasant. I only pipe in
now because... well, forgive me.

My opinion is that while the TimBL / linked data vision may be a
plausible one for the "living web" made from web sites, databases, and
services that are continuously maintained and corrected, it is not so
good for the archival use case, where a document is stored for ten or
twenty years and then needs to be understood. Both use cases occur in
the practice of science but it's important to understand that they're
different and lead to different requirements. In the "living" case it
does not matter so much what the identifier system (domain name, etc.)
is since it can be changed if it stops working. (Persistence is not a
big part of the linked data story.) In the archival case you need to
be much more careful in placing your bets.

But don't let the existence of flakey http: URIs make you throw *all*
of them away. http: URIs are neither more nor less viable as
persistent identifiers than any other kind of identifier. The syntax
of the string is not the issue; what's important is the level of
commitment behind the identifier system. urn:lsid:, http: , and doi:
all show extreme variability as far as that goes - in each syntactic
category, some identifiers have a good chance of being understandable
in the future, and some don't.

In our work at Science Commons we're using http: mainly because its
resolution protocol is so widely deployed, leading to lovely
unintended consequences such as the Internet Archive and Google. But
persistence is hard regardless of the identifier scheme. For an
example of an attempt to arrange for http: persistence for one
particular application see http://sharedname.org/.

Whether the choice is urn:lsid: or http:, the important thing for
persistence is to make sure some supporting infrastructure exists for
the long haul. (Yes, that is a tautology.) That is not really a
syntactic or technical problem.

Jonathan