[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken - role for TDWG?

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Fri Apr 3 21:39:57 CEST 2009

If LSIDs are to succeed for the biodiversity community they need a
service with long term support from large organisations and projects.

DOIs have a business model. LSIDs currently do not. Without a business
model (read funding) we should stick to something that doesn't have
the implementation/adoption impediment of LSIDs and make the best of
it (i.e. just have a usage policy for HTTP URIs).

The up coming e-Biosphere conference (June) is billed as an
opportunity for the heads of the bigger projects to get together and
decide what will happen for the next 10 years. If we are going to be
using LSIDs in the future those heads need to agree to fund a DOI-like
infrastructure for LSIDs or come out and say they are not prepared to
do it.

TDWG can act as a forum for these projects/organisations to coordinate
their actions but doesn't have its own resources.

I believe this is largely a political problem not a technical one. It
needs to be resolved quickly.

Personally I hope that whatever we end up with is fully interoperable
with the linked data movement as they are trying to do more or less
exactly what we are trying to do . It may be worth reflecting on the
fact that TBL et al are not telling us how to do biology they are
telling us how to link data up. That doesn't make them right and us
wrong but it is their field and not ours so maybe we should listen.

All the best,

Roger