[tdwg-tag] SourceForge LSID project websites broken - role for TDWG?

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Wed Apr 8 11:57:07 CEST 2009

General comments on decision making...

This is a technical discussion list. We are clever techie people.
Given a challenge of X resources and Y requirements we can come up
with a preferred list of solutions and probably implement one of them
with our eyes closed.

To use a fine English idiom "you cut your cloth to suit your purse".
We don't have a shared purse so arguments about how to cut our cloth
will never be resolved. X is undefined and I am not sure Y is that
well defined.

I know this is "chicken and egg" in that we need to come up with
requirements to request a purse  but we really need to have some
indication that some one will be willing to commit long term resources
to the common good before we can present a menu of choices for what
money could be spent on.

1.0 developers/year (in perpetuity) gets us a server or two managed to
support some kind of DNS based SRV hosting or redirect services or
Handle system with support for some library development and help desk
stuff.  (Note I am not talking servers or meetings or reports or
technology and I am talking commitment to pay people to have it as
their responsibility to maintain the system both socially and
technically - for the long term!!!).

Without the indication that some one (a consortium perhaps) is likely
to formally commit to a minimum of this level of resources we are
wasting our time talking about resolution mechanisms that are not DNS
based i.e. variations on the PURL model.

If we don't have the money to build a walled garden we have to graze
on the common with everyone else.

Roger

(BTW: I am not totally convinced that building a walled garden is the
way forward but would happily come and graze in it if some benefactor
would fund its perpetual maintenance).