[tdwg-tag] GUID Persistence as Zen kōan

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Fri Apr 24 11:20:02 CEST 2009

Hi Robert,

I would rather have a GUID that resolves than one with a certificate.
Tools like Rod's bioGUID status page are the way to go

http://bioguid.info/status/

More of a consumer watchdog than regulator.  It may transpire that
such a service becomes so accepted it has the authority to 'bless'
data suppliers but I believe that to be a long way off.

What I imagine would happen with a regulation is big organisations
would throw resources at getting the certificate whilst small
organisations and one-man-bands would actually provide as good or
better services but not have certificates.

All the best,

Roger

On 24 Apr 2009, at 10:05, Robert Huber wrote:

> Roger,
>
> I think we should start think how to improve the situation. In my
> opinion the situation could significantly improved if there would be
> some audit method, thus certificate for trustworthy GUIDs. There are
> several initiatives working on audit methods for long term archives
> why not adopting such a procedure for LSID authorities?
> I have posted some ideas in my blog here:
> http://stratigraphynet.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-trust-persitence-of-guids.html
>
> best regards,
> Robert
>

> 2009/4/23 Roger Hyam <rogerhyam at mac.com>:
>>
>> For those of you who can take any more of it I have posted my
>> thoughts
>> on persistence of GUIDs to my blog.
>>
>> http://www.hyam.net/blog/archives/346
>>
>> If you don't have the time or patience to read it the summary is:
>>
>> GUID Persistence == diddly squat
>>
>> Your comments are welcome.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Roger

> Dr. Robert Huber,
>
> WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de
> Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
> MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
> University Bremen
> Leobener Strasse
> POP 330 440
> 28359 Bremen
> Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
> e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org

Roger Hyam
Roger at BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
http://www.BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20A Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR, UK
Tel: +44 131 552 7171 ext 3015
Fax: +44 131 248 2901
http://www.rbge.org.uk/