[tdwg-tag] darwin core terms inside tdwg ontology

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Fri Apr 24 13:07:48 CEST 2009

Roger,
if you are working on that already, what do you think are the chances
to have a one to one mapping from the taxonomic dwc terms to the names
& taxon classes in the ontology?

We are using the dwc terms not only for occurrence records, but are
already encoding pure taxonomic or nomenclatural checklists with
simple dwc terms. Within ECAT and also the Global Names Index /
Architecture we have started sharing such checklists encoded as text
files which are far easier to handle than TCS-RDF, especially when
dealing with hundreds of thousands of names. The expressiveness is of
course limited, but it allows us to easily share all of the basic
taxonomic/nomenclatural information such as synonyms, basionyms,
taxonomic hierarchies, taxon concept reference, original publication,
nomenclatural code, nomenclatural & taxonomic status, rank, atomised
name parts and the classic higher dwc ranks for each name. I would be
super glad to see a convergence with the ontology here.

Markus