[tdwg-tapir] Updates and plans

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Mon Oct 6 16:36:47 CEST 2008

Dear all,
I would like to discuss the optional bits of TAPIR capabilities again
in the light of service interoperability, especially when dealing with
TAPIR lite.
Do we really need to have so many optional capabilities for TAPIR? I
do firmly think this is causing more problems than benefits and would
prefer more mandatory capabilities. In particular I think TAPIR model
support should be the lowest common denominator and not only templates
as it is currently for TAPIR lite.

Do the following capabilities really need to optional?

- the inventory and search operation is optional. Is there a need for
services not supporting them?
- any need for inventory operations not to support anyConcept?
- search operation should mandate at least 1 output model support
- cant concept, literal and parameter expressions in filters be
mandatory?
- likewise cant logical operators and equals comparisons be mandatory
filter parts? what about greaterThan and lessThan?

regards,
Markus