[tdwg-tag] SpeciesIndex written up

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Tue Nov 4 23:21:53 CET 2008

Good stuff.

Having just attended the ISWC conference (http://iswc2008.semanticweb.org/) I am keen to push forward any new, simple approaches to getting biodiversity data on the web and available.  One interesting tutorial was the "How to published linked data" - see the presentation at
http://events.linkeddata.org/iswc2008tutorial/how-to-publish-linked-data-iswc2008-slides.pdf , which also mentions sitemaps.  One of the key things is to get RDF data linked into an existing data source, eg dbpedia (== structured wikipedia data).  So I am going to investigate dbpedia, wikispecies, etc to see if we can hook ourselves into the web data world, then we can SPARQL our way around the world of biodiversity data.  And at that point we should no longer have any need for harvesters/aggregators as the whole domain of biodiversity data will be available via the semantic web.

another interesting talk was about dbpedia mobile (http://wiki.dbpedia.org/DBpediaMobile), which allows the display of location based dbpedia data on a location aware mobile device - imagine what we could do with biodiversity data and dbpedia mobile!

ahh, the dreams

Kevin