[tdwg-tag] Are DOIs expensive?

Kevin Richards RichardsK at landcareresearch.co.nz
Wed Nov 26 10:27:57 CET 2008

I agree.  I feel uncomfortable entering a "commercial" situation when it comes to GUIDs.

I do feel we are getting back into the good old arguments we had during the GUID workshops.
So probably best to review the arguments, discussions, conclusions, decisions, etc we have made over the last few years,  before we start "jumping all over the place".

In the end, then most important thing is that we get GUIDs in use - doesnt particularly matter which specific GUID type (which is really what the TDWG reccommendations allude to anyway).  So for people who have good reason to use a particular GUID type (eg using HTTP urls so that you can participate in the semantic web world), could very well use that type of GUID.

Kevin