[tdwg-tag] OpenID - is it for us?

Roger Hyam rogerhyam at mac.com
Wed May 7 09:04:17 CEST 2008

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with OpenID?

http://openid.net/

Would this be a useful and simple way to provide cohesion within our
community if one of the bigger members (GBIF, TDWG, EoL etc) acted as
an Open ID provider?

I know there were presentations on Shibboleth at TDWG 2007.

http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/

OpenID seems simpler but does no authorization I believe (it is just
an ID solution). Could the two be integrated for those who need to
share notions of authorization...

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger Hyam
Roger at BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
http://www.BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20A Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR, UK
Tel: +44 131 552 7171 ext 3015
Fax: +44 131 248 2901
http://www.rbge.org.uk/