[tdwg-tag] OpenID - is it for us?

Roger Hyam (TDWG) rogerhyam at mac.com
Wed May 7 10:45:40 CEST 2008

The OpenID 2 spec says:

"OpenID Authentication uses only standard HTTP(S) requests and
Agent or other client software."

So I guess it would be possible for web services to exploit it.

I think the problem at the moment is any site or service has to
provide two methods. A traditional one and an OpenID authentication
and this increases the implementation burden without much benefit.

If it was just a little more widely accepted (perhaps google and
microsoft live) then I'd be tempted to do a site that required an
OpenID.

Roger

Roger Hyam
Roger at BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
http://www.BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20A Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR, UK
Tel: +44 131 552 7171 ext 3015
Fax: +44 131 248 2901
http://www.rbge.org.uk/