[tdwg-tapir] TAPIR and the standardization of SRU

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Thu Nov 8 01:22:06 CET 2007

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for bringing SRU to our attention. I became aware of the new
search-ws OASIS committee when I was looking for more information
about SRU (after you posted that question in our FAQ).

By coincidence, TDWG is just about to become an OASIS member to
participate in a new biodiversity conservation steering committee. So
SRU is now another reason for joining.

I'm still unfamiliar with the OASIS process, but it seems that when
TDWG joins OASIS, any TDWG member will be able to get involved with
any OASIS group. So if there's anyone in this condition interested in
participating in the search-ws group, please let me know (OASIS seems
to encourage its members to bring as many people as possible to
participate in the groups). Markus and I will in principle become
observers of the group.

TAPIR is already a major effort to unify two protocols, and we
reached the point of having enough documentation and tools to enable
wide adoption by our community - which already started to happen.
So although I'm all in favor of joining efforts with other
communities and adopting a single standard, I'm not sure what would
be feasible (and reasonable) at this point. Anyway, I agree we should
try to get involved and see if there are any real opportunities for
integration.

Best Regards,
--
Renato