[tdwg-tapir] Role of TAPIR in Architecture Diagram

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Tue Mar 6 12:45:05 CET 2007

Hi Roger,

In case providers map their databases using DarwinCore, ABCD or other
similar standard, there will be no need to define concepts from the
ontology. It will just be necessary to prepare the output models that
will produce the desired XML output (in this case based on the
"avowed structures").

Ideally, I think things should be the other way around - everybody
mapping the same ontology concepts and then getting the outputs in
the desired format - in this case it wouldn't be necessary to have
concepts based on the XML Schemas. But I'm not sure if we're fully
aware of all implications of using concepts from a real ontology, so
it may be more realistic in this moment to assume that providers will
make use of the "traditional" concepts.

One minor thing about the diagram is that you could add another layer
called "TAPIR Query Templates" on top of output models, since this is
what will really be used for things like LSID resolution (combining
output models with parameterised filters).

Best Regards,
--
Renato