[tdwg-tapir] Mapping to CNS file

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Thu Mar 22 21:26:07 CET 2007

Hi Dave and all,

I actually meant more like:

http://somehost/somepath/alias.txt#some_concept_source

where it is identifying a complete section of a CNS file containing
many TAPIR concepts.

My understanding of the whole RDF + CNS + TAPIR Concepts +  output
model is like a thunking layer to get from RDF to simple XML and back
again.

There is a pretty picture here: http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAG

At the moment I have a script that takes a view on the ontology that
is defined in OWL and creates two things: A TAPIR output model and a
CNS file that lists the concepts in the output model (paths through
the ontology following the ObjectProperty relationships - not the
subclassing relationships). It creates the big schemas that are
reminiscent of ABCD but that map on to the ontology and RDF. (It also
creates some documentation).

I am actually working on the output model not using namespaces but
only element naming conventions (e.g.  rdf_RDF == rdf:RDF)  A simple
XSLT then turns the resulting instance documents into real RDF with
all the namespaces and stuff correctly in place. A couple of regular
expressions would do the same job.

It sounds like a bit of a hack but as the XML Schemas and instance
documents are really only used as part of the TAPIR configuration and
protocol layer I feel it is justified.  It gets around loads of
problems like recursion of XSD complexTypes, confusion over imports
of different complexTypes that represent the same object and having
numerous schema imports to cope with the different namespaces.

I want to get the whole of this working and demo'd and then I'll put
a wiki page together on it.

So the concepts exist in RDF/OWL already we are just discussing a
representation of them to map into TAPIR networks.

It should be possible for TAPIR providers to appear like semantic web
applications - but not SPARQL servers.

All the best,

Roger