[tdwg-guid] First step in implementing LSIDs?[Scanned]

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sun Jun 3 13:03:58 CEST 2007

I think we need to be clear what gets an LSID (or a GUID in general).

Some of the things listed by Anna are digital records, such as an
image. It seems simplest to give these GUIDs that identify the image,
with metadata linking the image to the thing the image depicts (there
are existing RDF vocabularies to do this).

Some things listed, such as a specimen, are physical objects. These
are different from digital objects, and they way in which GUIDs that
identify real things are handled has caused all manner of discussion
(see  http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/HTTP-URI and related pages
bookmarked at http://del.icio.us/rdmpage/303). LSIDs don't handle
this well, unless we rely on metadata saying "the thing identified by."

So, at least on this level to say that all seven things get the same
GUID is clearly a non starter.

Relationships between things can be easily specified in metadata ("is
part of", "depicts", "is kind of").

The final issue is GUID reuse, that is, if somebody uses a INOTAXA
record, they should at a minimum refer to the INOTAXA LSID. This
would particularly apply to aggregators such as GBIF, who should not
present their own identifiers unless GBIF has actually created the
data. You often state "presumably shortly also available to GBIF in
some form". It's not clear to what that means, but if it's GBIF
because INOTAXA serves it, then I think GBIF should use INOTAXA LSIDs
to refer to INOTAXA records.

Clearly, generating a plethora a new, effectively local ids
(masquerading as global) is not a recipe for progress. If we don't
reuse GUIDs we are wasting our time.

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page