[tdwg-guid] First step in implementing LSIDs

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 09:43:01 CEST 2007

> We still need to decide WHAT a URI references - is it the metadata,
> the physical object etc?

Physical things get URIs (that means you, me, specimens, etc.). If
they don't, it's rather hard to talk about them.  Documents (images,
PDFs, sound files, text, etc.) also get URIs. The "Cool URIs for the
Semantic Web" paper is essentially about this. There are solutions to
handling this issue (e.g., the 303 redirect).

This is one reason why I think LSIDs have obscured this issue. People
have been arguing about whether an LSID serves metadata or data,
which to my mind is a totally different question from whether the
LSID represents a physical object or concept, or a digital record.

> URIs don't explicitly require persistance, while LSIDs do so I see
> that as a positive for adopting a standard GUID that is explicit in
> that regard.

But we kid ourselves if we think that adopting LSIDs will magically
give us persistent identfiiers. Persistence is a social act (somebody
makes a commitment to serve them for "a long time"). If I were to
make an equivalent of "The Big Dig" for LSID providers (http://
bigdig.ecoforge.net/), I bet you there will be more than a few "sad
faces".

Even the DOIs break. The difference? There's somebody to complain to
when they do. I complain about broken DOIs about once a month, and
usually I get a human response and the problem is resolved. DOIs (and
Handles underlying them) have tools to facilitate management, which
is part of persistence.

> I think the TDWG effort to spec an HTTP proxy for LSIDs makes it
> clear that the technical hurdles of implementing an LSID resolver
> (SVR records, new protocol, client limitations etc) are a bit
> cumbersome, but I don't think the underlying concept is fatally flawed

But the question is "why put ourselves through these hurdles?" What
do we gain? Do we aid persistence? By adding further complexity, I
don't think so? Do we get to play ball with other semantic web-style
initiatives, um, no, we make it harder.

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page