[tdwg-guid] LSID metadata persistence (or lack thereof)[Scanned]

P. Bryan Heidorn pheidorn at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 14 00:17:29 CEST 2007

Hmmm, we are in trouble. It seems that placing the "record" in the
LSID metadata is gaming the system. An observation record of a bird,
is on some real sense data. We can say it is metadata about the bird
but this is not data about data under that use, it is data about an
object, that instance of a bird at that point in time. I would prefer
not to treat the record as abstract. We can not put the observation
record into the metadata because metadata has the nice property of
allowing us to change the form. The LSID metadata should tell us the
semantics of the data. If we use the metadata to save the record we
need meta-metadata to save the semantics.

 From page 10 of the spec:
"bytes getData (LSID lsid)
This method is used to return data associated with the given lsid. If
a copy of the data represented by an LSID cannot be
returned for any reason, an exception should be raised.
If the given lsid represents an abstract entity (a concept), this
method returns an empty array of bytes.
Note that the semantics of the returned bytes is not defined by this
specification. It is either known from an external
documentation, or (preferably) it is available by reading the
metadata for this particular lsid. "<----

As Dave points out. The bit identity constraint is a problem when XML
is a payload. Current TDWG standards do not enforce a particular
canonical form for the XML documents. They could when being carried
by data in LSID. That additional constraint or specification would
need to be carried in the metadata.

-- Bryan

PS: Someone should send a medic to Chuck's office. Chuck is likely
under his desk pulling out his hair muttering something about never
"doing" anything.