[tdwg-guid] An approach to Abstract LSIDs

Ricardo Pereira ricardo at tdwg.org
Wed Jul 18 18:12:56 CEST 2007

    Greg,

    I believe that there is a misunderstanding here.

    The proposal of assigning LSIDs to physical world entities and all
of its digital representations is perfectly feasible and sensible, but
it is not a required practice. In other words, you are not obligated to
keep LSIDs for physical and digital objects separately when assigning
and resolving LSIDs.

    While some providers may find useful to represent the world in such
way (and agree to perform the extra management tasks required by it),
other providers may very well adopt a simpler approach. For example,
many providers will find just simpler to continue to use the data model
they currently implement in their institutions and just assign an LSID
to every record that they wish to share from their databases. This way
they would keep the mapping between LSID and database records one to
one. In those cases, data providers don't even need to care about
whether they are modeling physical entities or just their digital
representations.

    I believe that you assumed that this simpler approach for assigning
LSID was feasible and it was your main drive towards adopting LSIDs. I
am very sure that it is an assumption that still holds true.

    Furthermore, I believe that you would still benefit from replacing
your local trusted, persistent and opaque surrogates by LSIDs. First
because LSIDs have all those properties you mentioned and more: they are
globally (not only locally) unique, their syntax has been standardized,
they have a standard resolution mechanism, and provide provenance. A
good example of putting LSIDs for good use by you would be to track of
the relationships between taxon names exported by APNI to IPNI.

    I hope this makes things clearer and helps you see the LSID
specification again as a useful tool to share and manage your data records.

    Best regards,

Ricardo