[tdwg-tapir] Interpretation of TAPIR filters

D ö ring, Markus m.doering at BGBM.org
Tue Dec 4 10:48:11 CET 2007

Hi,
Just catching up.
I agree with Renato about all the filter issues as you probably have
guessed. Regarding sorting now. In pywrapper I have left the "how" it gets
sorted to the underlying database type. And that might be very different to
the conceptual or model one. But I wonder if it is really important to be
specific about the sorting order? At least it is sorted in some stable way.

I agree it makes sense to announce that datatype in the capabilities, so you
understand the sorting. That can easily be done using xml schema datatypes
(should cover nearly all db types). The underlying datatype also affects
what COPs you can use with it. You will get an error with PyWrapper for
example if you do a LIKE on a date or integer type.

If we will force people to adapt their datatypes in the underlying database
this is quite a burden. This way every data provider will need a copy of
their database and they will never be able to use the original dataset. That
might not be a problem and in fact this allows you to do quite some data
transformation in between, but for many providers I know this will be too
much - or they will close to never update their data clone.

So for now I would suggest to indicate the underlying db type in the concept
capabilities and just use whatever there is for ordering. We should probably
come up with a standard error for the CopNotSupportedByLocalDatatype. How do
you deal with this in TapirLink Renato?

Markus