[tdwg-tapir] TAPIRLink and memory

Renato De Giovanni renato at cria.org.br
Wed Aug 1 18:21:24 CEST 2007

Hi Roger,

I do think it's worth adding your changes related to the "fopen"
workaround. Please don't hesitate.

I should say that I'm actually surprised that TapirLink requires only
10M with such a complex RDF output model. I wonder how many records
were being returned in your request?

I also don't have much experience with profiling, but I'm sure
there's room for improvements since I didn't pay much attention to
optimization. By the way, the main new feature for the next version
will be caching. I'm expecting significant improvements in
performance since query templates, output models, and response
structures will be all cached by default as serialized PHP. When
TapirLink can use cached content, I suppose this will also reduce
memory use. However, the first time it receives a particular output
model in a request, then it will require the same memory if we don't
make additional optimizations and if we want it to run below the 8M
limit.

Anyway, I also wonder how many people and organizations will need to
run a TAPIR provider software under the conditions you described
(external ISP with such a low memory use limit). I still never heard
of any case in our community (maybe someone from GBIF could give us a
better picture?).

Best Regards,
--
Renato