[tdwg-guid] URN, URI and http

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 21:19:11 CEST 2007

In the RDF, what URI would you use for the species concept?

If it is http://www.speciesid.org/species/45ae56895967 (which seems the
logical choice), then you need some way for RDF documents to refer to
this URI, but also have Semantic Web browsers be able to get the RDF
document that provides the metadata about the URI. This is what the 303
does.

Put another way, the issue is what convention do we use to say that
"the RDF version of metadata about this URI is available here". How do
we tell browsers/semantic web crawlers/etc. to find this info? The 303
redirect is one way of doing this, and is being adopted by Semantic Web
tools (of course, as with all these things not everyone likes the 303
solution).

Having a rule that says "let's add .rdf to the URI" is fine, except how
do tools developed by other communities know that this is the rule? If
we adopt one ad hoc solution and others adopt another, we loose
interoperability. For me, this is vital to avoid our own little ghetto.

The 303 redirection/hash idea is in one sense ad hoc, but it is being
adopted, and will also work with REST (the client just needs to be able
to handle redirection).

You could, of course, do both. Adopt the convention you describe, but
also support 303 redirects so that Semantic Web tools are happy.

Regarding HTML, there are all sorts of ways to do this. My
http://bioguid.info toy uses a XSL style sheet to display HTML by
default in a web browser (if you "view source") you'll see it's just
RDF under the hood.

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page