[Tdwg-guid] Jena examples?

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at kew.org
Tue Sep 26 10:03:17 CEST 2006

Hi Steve /all

We took that syntax straight from Roger's RDF/TCS examples. I think
Roger was going to do more work on tidying up those sorts of loose
ends. I have to admit that my knowledge of RDF and particularly RDFS
is pretty superficial

We can switch to either the shorter format or the safer fully
qualified URI - what do people think would be better?

Sally

> By the way, the IPNI example you cite has an error:
>
> <tn:nomenclaturalCode rdf:resource="&tn;#botanical" />
>
> Many RDF/XML parsers will see &tn; as an entity which cannot be
> resolved.  Since I don't have a copy of the ontology (and
> http://tdwg.org/2006/03/12/TaxonNames does not resolve), I can only take
> a guess that it should look something like:
>
> <tn:nomenclaturalCode rdf:resource="tn:botanical" />
>
> However, using XML namespace prefixes in resource references inside
> RDF/XML documents tends to cause problems because not all RDF/XML
> parsers are smart enough to dereference the namespace prefix and build a
> fully-qualified resource URI.  A safer form of the above would be the
> fully qualified resource URI which looks like:
>
> <tn:nomenclaturalCode rdf:resource="http://tdwg.org/2006/03/12/TaxonNames/botanical" />
>

> -Steve

*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk