[Tdwg-guid] Update on GUID/LSID work

Ricardo Pereira ricardo at tdwg.org
Tue Sep 26 13:21:27 CEST 2006

Dear GUID and TAG members,

We would like to update you about the GUID/LSID work. Since the 2nd GUID
workshop in Edinburgh, the GUID group have been working on documents
targeted at different audiences interested in LSIDs-

 * An LSID primer for biologists
 (http://www.tdwg.gbif.org/uploads/media/LSIDs_for_Biologists.pdf)

 * An executive summary on LSID (for 'Managers')
 (http://www.tdwg.gbif.org/uploads/media/LSIDs_for_Managers.pdf)

 * An annotated summary of LSID resources on the Internet for software
developers
 (http://www.tdwg.gbif.org/uploads/media/LSID_Resources.pdf)

 * An LSID Applicability Statement (in prep). This is planed to serve as
guideline for implementation of LSID resolvers in biodiversity
information applications. This specification will summarize all agreed
decisions by the GUID group.

 * An LSID 'Roadmap' (in prep). This roadmap describes our priorities
for the next ~6 months for LSID work.

The list containing all these documents can be found at this temporary URL:
http://www.tdwg.gbif.org/subgroups/guid/documents-reports/

During the TDWG 2006 Annual Meeting, several presentations will address
GUIDs and LSIDs. Kevin Richards with help from Ricardo Pereira will be
running a hands-on LSID tutorial/workshop that will demonstrate various
aspects of a running LSID resolver and help interested parties to set up
their own resolvers. Hopefully, end-users will get an idea on how LSIDs
can help them.

As the TDWG 2006 Annual Meeting approaches, we will be spending more
time establishing the basic infrastructure to support a more integrated
data sharing environment for biodiversity information applications and
will be encouraging the deployment of LSID clients and resolvers in our
community.

We will keep you posted on any new developments.

Best regards,

The TDWG Infrastructure Team (TIP)