[Tdwg-guid] (Fwd) Fwd: [TDWG] Announce: Proposal for "microformat" for mar

Steve Perry smperry at ku.edu
Tue Sep 26 19:29:07 CEST 2006

Hi Roger,

Supporting many representation formats would be really cool, but I have
doubts as to whether the benefit of such a system will outweigh the costs.

The initial goal behind modular schemata was that, if we had them, we
could build a network of data providers and consumers that could carry
any type of data (type independence).  In essence we would build a data
network that would allow anyone to talk about anything.  This by itself
is not an easy thing to do.

Then the issue of representation language cropped up; first XML or RDF
and now different types of XML, different RDF ontology languages,
microformats, and semantic tags (why not JSON, SQL tables, serialized
Java objects, C structs, and any other representation people might
want).  To resolve this issue without restricting representation
language requires a huge increase in the scope of work; not only type
independence, but independence of representation; building a data
network that allows anyone to talk about anything in any language.

On the one hand you're absolutely right that such a system, if we could
build it, might work as a bridge between different technologies.  But I
worry that it will be a massively difficult and expensive undertaking
that might not ever work.  I'll list a few of my concerns.

The first is whether or not it will support automatic translation:

1.) If the system does not do automatic translation between
representation languages, then it's more like a schema repository.  In
my view, schema repositories don't help to integrate tools that use
different representation languages.  Instead each representation
language becomes a silo.  The schema repository helps to document what
has to be done when people need to write code that will cut across silos
for a one-time task, but it doesn't actually encourage people to do so.

2.) If the system does automatic translation between representations
then it adds a layer of complexity and a large processing and transport
cost to each transaction on the network.  Imagine that you want to do
some niche modeling.  Assume you have some taxonomic group in mind.
First you'd have to find the names for this group, including synonyms.
Next you'd have to get specimens and observations for these names.  So,
two large sets of transactions are necessary to acquire the data you
need.  Each name and observation provider might be using a different
representation language.  When you contact them you have to figure out
what representation they've given you and ship the data off to a
translation service before you can merge the results.  This adds a large
(at best linear) cost to acquiring data.  Additionally, someone has to
pay for the huge amount of bandwidth used by the translation service.
We can propose to use a local library instead of a remote service to do
the translation, but this adds a burden on the developers of all
software, requires that the library is updated often as new types and
representation languages are adopted, and requires that the library
exists or has bindings to many programming languages; in short this is a
software maintenance nightmare.

My second set of concerns are about the representations themselves:

3.) Each representation will require some effort to construct and
maintain.  If the system will provide guidelines (rules expressed in
natural language) for how to translate each representation into other
representations, the cost (in effort, time, and money) will increase.
If the system will provide automatic translation, the cost will increase
further.  However, not all representations will be used equally.  If
there are only two people who want TCS in format X, then is it worth the
expense of providing it to them?  Who decides whether or not a
particular representation format has enough demand to justify the work
involved in supporting it?

4.) If the goal is to provide guidelines or automatic services for
translation between representations of a given data type, then we have
to map X * X-1 * Y possible translations where X is the number of
allowed representations for a given data type and Y is the number of
data types.  The TDWG biodiversity informatics ontology may end up with
30 classes.  If we support 5 representations (maybe OWL, RDFS, semantic
tags, XML metadata, and GML Feature Types) that's 5 * 4 * 30 = 600
possible translation mappings to create and maintain.  Each time we have
a new representation or a new data type we have to update the set of
translation mappings.

My final set of concerns regards knowledge representation, modeling, and
the expressive power of representation languages:

5.) Different representation languages have different language features
and expressive powers.  For instance, there are things you can do with
OWL that you can't do with semantic tags.  This is because OWL has
language features for representing inheritance, property-value
constraints, etc. that simply don't exist in the world of semantic
tagging.  If we have to be able to represent the platonic ideal of our
data types (as defined in the TDWG ontology) in any representation
language and also have to be able to translate between representations,
we run into a dilemma.

If we use all the features of a particular representation language we
benefit from them when using that particular format.  The software that
is constructed to natively consume that representation can use all of
the available language features to automate tasks on behalf of the
user.  However, translation becomes very difficult.  Imaging translating
OWL-style inheritance into microformats or XML-Schema data type
constraints into a system of semantic tags.  It's simply not possible.
Translating between languages of differing expressive powers can be
problematic.  The alternative approach is to use only those language
features that are common to all representation languages.  In practice
this usually means using only those features that exist in the most
weakly-expressive language.  If our bag of representation languages
includes both semantic tagging and OWL, then we're not really using the
power of OWL.  In fact, if we have to use only the common features of
the two, we might as well implement our OWL ontology so that there is
only one type of class with a single property called "tagvalue".

6.) Different representation languages enable different functionality in
the software that consumes them.  For instance, client software that
consumes RDFS or OWL instances often expand searches to encompass
instances of superclasses.  In other words, software designed to use
semantic web technologies can do some of the work a human user might
otherwise have to do by exploiting the features of semantic web
languages.  Software designed to use semantic tags often doesn't do much
more than search and statistical correlation between tag instances.
This is quite powerful in it's own way, but because semantic tags were
designed to indicate the context of a document, not necessarily its
contents, semantic tagging really only helps a user to locate documents
of interest.  A document with tags is ultimately read by a human, not a
machine.  Every representation language carries with it assumptions
about how "documents" that are instances of that language will be used.

To navigate you need a fixed point.  To move the world you need a
fulcrum.  Because representation languages provide different features
and make different assumptions about how their instances will be used,
it makes sense to use representation language as the fixed point of our
designs and leave data types and service interfaces free to vary.  Some
have argued that the TDWG ontology is the fixed point in our
constellation of services, but I disagree.  It is the umbrella under
which data integration will occur; there will always be extensions to
the core ontology and it too will change over time as it is expanded.

Overall I think it's a laudable goal to support as many representation
languages as possible, but there are so many headaches and compromises
involved that we may end up with an expensive solution that, because it
only supports the lowest common denominator of functionality, doesn't
really work right for anybody.  A case in point is the current
discussion of namespaces.  In order to make namespaces work across the
widest range of representation languages, it's been proposed that they
can no longer be used as packages to logically partition the larger
ontology.  This makes it harder to manage extensions to the ontology and
makes it likely that we'll end up using
veryLongClassAndPropertyNamesToTryToAvoidNamespaceClashes.  And you
still can't represent namespaces in semantic tags.

It's hard enough to write software that can cope with any data type and
I'd rather spend energy, time, and money on getting it right with only
one or two feature-rich representations.  What I'd really like to see is
a network of heterogeneously typed, highly integrated data objects and a
rich set of services that operate on them.  Once this is built, the real
fun can begin, creating software that uses these data to answer
important scientific questions.

-Steve