[Tdwg-guid] [Taxacom] Demise of Phyloinformatics journal

Weitzman, Anna WEITZMAN at si.edu
Fri Nov 24 17:51:50 CET 2006

I guess I should have worded my response more carefully.  It all appears to be available.

However, I was able to download Rich's Taxonomer paper from two different versions of the archived site (the archive from the final version http://web.archive.org/web/20060503102100/www.phyloinformatics.org/archive.php and May 14, 2004).  Sereno et al. does appear to have disappeared as it is not available from either http://web.archive.org/web/20060503102100/www.phyloinformatics.org/archive.php or http://web.archive.org/web/20051225220305/http://www.phyloinformatics.org/, the only two pages that I could find that it was referred to.  I have only tested some of the other papers.

It is quite unfortunate that the Internet Archive seems to have lost the one pdf.  However, I don't think that the existence of Internet Archive should make us feel the slightest bit complacent about our own responsibility.  As the zoological code requires a printed copy be placed in 5 major repositories (a far too subjective directive in my opinion) for new taxa, so we should take the responsibility of making sure that ANY papers that we publish on-line are so deposited (preferably printed on acid-free paper rather than on standard paper) in at least our own institution (preferably several).  I suppose that will also mean that we need to pressure our librarians into accepting these "reprints" as real acquisitions, which some libraries, such as the Smithsonian do not.  I certainly will have that conversation with my Smithsonian colleagues.

In spite of all that, I do not for one moment believe that we should stop publishing in electronic journals.  The community needs to consider what WE must do to guarantee open access to all our publications, data, etc, in all forms and in perpetuity.

Cheers,
Anna

Anna L. Weitzman, PhD
Botanical and Biodiversity Informatics Research
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution

202.633.0846
weitzman at si.edu