[Tdwg-tag] Meaning of 'concept'

Robert Gales rgales at ku.edu
Tue May 2 16:08:52 CEST 2006

I agree, concept is far too overloaded a term to use for general
conversations regarding ontologies.  Not only is the term overloaded
across domains, even within a single domain, such as taxonomy, it is
difficult at best to get consensus on the definition of concept.

I tend to prefer the terms class and properties.  Whatever terms we
decide on, we should probably have very brief definitions of them.  That
probably goes for any terminology we decide on within the group, not
only so we understand one another, but outside readers understand any of
the documentation that we produce.

- Rob