[Tdwg-guid] DOIs and persistence -- when DOIs go bad

Sally Hinchcliffe S.Hinchcliffe at kew.org
Fri May 26 13:27:43 CEST 2006

Rod

> 1. What about library catalogues. Surely a lot of literature will have
> an electronic card catalogue somewhere? What about WorldCat -
> http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/. Is it not possible to search global
> library cataologues to extract basic metadata about a lot of
> literature, or am I being - as usual - hopelessly naive?

It's true, there are electronic sources of some of this information,
and it's possible that we are capturing in IPNI some information
which is then _also_ captured (from the same journal) in the Kew
Record and then _also_ captured (at least for books) by the library
catalogue
So a central place where some of the metadata - especially horrible
hairy things like DOIs and ISBNs - could be captured once and re-used
might be helpful ESPECIALLY if the source was from the publisher
itself (that's what Amazon makes you do, after all) - someone with an
incentive to get it right and correct it if it's wrong. Actually just
doing it once at Kew would be an improvement (but we'd need to
actually write the tools to do that). Of course, there will be no
substitute for the editors actually scanning (ie. with their eyes)
the literature themselves to check that everything is present and
correct - descriptions, types and so on. And the KR team are looking
for different things as well - everyone has additional information
they need from a publication that they will want to extract.

The more I think about it the more I can see that we do need a really
good robust system for identifying and cross linking all these
things. DOIs will do part of it, but I guess BHL will have to cover
the rest  ... As to whether we end up with something centralised or
standardised, I haven't really thought about it enough to say ...

Sally
*** Sally Hinchcliffe
*** Computer section, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
*** tel: +44 (0)20 8332 5708
*** S.Hinchcliffe at rbgkew.org.uk