[tdwg-tapir] GUID support in TAPIR (or BioCASe)

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at tdwg.org
Fri May 26 21:43:14 CEST 2006

    Hi folks,

    I am preparing an analysis of how existing provider software handle
globally unique identifiers. I would like to ask if anyone on the list
could give me more details about whether and how TAPIR handles  GUIDs. I
am also interested in details about how specific implementations of the
protocol handle GUIDs (such as the PyWrapper or others).

    More specifically, I am looking to answers to the following questions:

1) Does the protocol or the implementation explicitly handle any form
Globally Unique Identifiers? Does it adopt a specific technology (DOI,
Handle, POI, LSID), or does it provide support for any GUID technology.
If so, what are the requirements for using a new technology?

2) Are there any required fields/concepts on the application profiles
(ABCD for example) that are specifically designed to accommodate GUIDs?

3) Does the protocol provide any specific resolution mechanism (i.e.,
returning a single object based on an ID passed on the request)?

4) Any other aspects of the protocol or implementation regarding GUIDs.

    I intend to write a white paper on the topic and also give a talk
about it during the Second Workshop on Globally Unique Identifiers
(GUID-2) next month in Edinburgh. I will post links to the documents
once they are published.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Have a great weekend.

    Regards,

Ricardo

PS. Note that did not mention DiGIR, DiGIR2 and Darwin Core on my
request above because I am a bit more familiar with them (though
information about them is appreciated, too).