[Tdwg-guid] DOIs and persistence -- when DOIs go bad

Robert Huber rhuber at wdc-mare.org
Mon May 29 10:43:00 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I'm very happy about this discussion as it (imho) clarifies a lot
what role PublicationBank might play and what difficulties might
occur.
I agree with Roderic that there could be 2 major compoments:

> 1. A central place where anybody who makes a mapping can upload that
> mapping (or have it harvested automatically)

-> 1) The bibliographic/GUID database

> 2. A central place (same as 1 above) where anybody can go to ask
> whether there is a mapping for an item of literature (or an
> identifier).

-> 2) The bibliographic/GUID resolver service

> I use "central" loosely, it might be a case of  few brokers for the
> major taxonomic groups/databases.

PublicationBank can surely not be a monolithic thing but rather take use
of the existing services/databases and act as a information broker (..at
least true for the resolver services)
I hope I'll find some time this week to draw a figure..

I have started to collect some information on potential services and players
on the WIKI already, if you know more ... any suggestion is welcome.

Sorry Roderic for sending this mail to your email address first, I was too
quickly pressing the reply button..

best regards,
Robert

Dr. Robert Huber
WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de, www.wdc-mare.org
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber@@wdc-mare.org, robert.huber at stratigraphy.net