[tdwg-tapir] conceptual binding

"Döring, Markus" m.doering at BGBM.org
Fri Mar 3 15:59:12 CET 2006

Personally I wouldnt wanna implement anything more than qualified paths to be honest.
Its definitely much more work to deal with predicates, relative paths or unknown nesting levels ala //.
So couldnt we just use this pattern for validation?

(/([a-zA-Z0-9_-]+:)?[a-zA-Z0-9_\-]+)+(@[a-zA-Z0-9_\-]+)?

Strings are fine as well, but Id prefer validation in exchange for the lack of extensibility.
markus

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: tdwg-tapir-bounces at lists.tdwg.org [mailto:tdwg-tapir-bounces at lists.tdwg.org] Im Auftrag von Renato De Giovanni
Gesendet: Freitag, 3. März 2006 02:48
An: tdwg-tapir at lists.tdwg.org
Betreff: Re: [tdwg-tapir] conceptual binding

Hi all,

I would be reluctant to force provider implementations to understand more complex XPath patterns without having a clear demand from our community. We obviously need optional namespace prefixes in the pattern since it's already clear that output models may easily mix different namespaces. But I don't know if it's wise to go beyond that.

Adopting the full Location Paths specification seem an overkill, and even the WFS predicates look strange in our context. I did find some examples about using them in WFS:

http://mail.opengeospatial.org/pipermail/wfs-dev/2004-
August/000189.html

But it's important to note that WFS uses XPath in a different context. In TAPIR we just use them in the output model mapping section and also to select partial nodes in search templates. TAPIR filters don't reference XML nodes, they reference concepts (which have a completely different type).

Back to XPath predicates, maybe someone could want to get back only the "n" identification of an ABCD unit, for instance. So I can imagine situations when <partial> could make use of predicates, but for me the cost-benefit still doesn't seem to justify the additional complexity. And it's hard to believe that someone could really want to map only the "n" occurrence of a specific XML element in an output model. But maybe I'm wrong...

Javier's suggestion to remove the SimpleXPathType restriction and only describe in the specs the minimum patterns to be understood by providers seems reasonable. We could even allow provider implementations to understand more complex patterns if they want.

Regards,
--
Renato