[tdwg-tapir] TAPIR pywrapper.org site launched

"Döring, Markus" m.doering at BGBM.org
Fri Mar 24 17:32:26 CET 2006

Dear all,

Sorry for cross-posting.

We are happy to announce the new collaborative home of the PyWrapper.org open source project:

http://www.pywrapper.org

Probably most of you don't know that pywrapper is the library behind the BioCASe Provider Software and the new TAPIR implementation that Markus had been working on with GBIF support in the last year.

The first priority is to support the revised TAPIR protocol, but we are also working on support for the WFS and SPICE protocols. A basic Configuration Tool to help data providers with their configuration and hopefully to update from previous BioCASe versions is under development with the help of SYNTHESYS funding.

We hope to include at some point also a local web-based search interface, the  Query Tool. This will allow data providers to gain instant webaccess to their databases with customisable skins (html templates) to integrate in existing designs.

The pywrapper library has always been released under the open source Mozilla Public License, but the development of it has mainly been done by one person alone. We want to alter this and become a truly open source project where everybody is invited to participate in the development. For this we have created a new working environment under

http://www.pywrapper.org

There you will find public access to the latest source code, a roadmap of the development, a report system to submit bugs and request and a new documentation system.