[Tdwg-tag] RDF instead of xml schema

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Sat Mar 25 20:33:55 CET 2006

There are very interesting observations about this relationship on the
final pages (pp. 313-314   sic!) of the current revision  of the
submission by IBM and others to OMG of an Ontology Definition Metamodel
(ODM)
http://www.omg.org/docs/ad/05-08-01.pdf

Metamodels are mechanisms from Model Directed Architecture which, among
other things, are designed to promote interoperability of models, not
merely interoperability of the systems which implement them (which then
comes for free in rigorous MDA, because implementations are a special
kind of model). Users of modeling tools which convert from one model to
another, e.g. code generation from UML, are often the beneficiaries of
formal or informal metamodels in the conversion framework.

[Here I must confess to having read only the TOC and these two pages of
the ODM submission. But from those, I am prepared to speculate that the
rest of it has a lot to say about the topics at hand. Indeed, if it is a
successful metamodel proposal, it will have identified every single
issue raised here in the last few weeks, and more....].

Bob

--
Robert A. Morris
Professor of Computer Science