[Tdwg-tag] A very simple question stated again.

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Mon Mar 27 16:07:41 CEST 2006

Ignoring the often observed combersomeness of versioning in XML-Schema,
your example seems a bit of a red-herring and to me serves more as
supporting a claim---with which I agree---that it is \easier/ in RDF
than XML-Schema to clarify relations and easier in XML-Schema to fail to
do so,  For example, were it the \intent/ to insure that Collector isA
Human, it is certainly possible to do so in RDF. This then would require
an extender to introduce a new supercclass, say PseudoCollector. along
with all the baggage(?) of enforcing the properties it shares with the
subclass. I don't know enough about DL to assert this with any
confidence, but allowing arbitrary superclassing also sounds to me like
it might cause pain to reasoners.

I take the gist of the previously posted reference to the final pages of
  http://www.omg.org/docs/ad/05-08-01.pdf to be that even in a modeling
tool \more expressive/ than OWL, there is likely to remain the embedding
of semantics in naming conventions, a cranky, but somewhat successful
mechanism that is part of what Stan seems to be exploring.

To me, issues of pain to reasoning engines is not small. To my mind,
machine reasoning is the biggest motivation for considering RDF-based
representations, and it is well-understood in the research community
that it is quite easy for this utility to vanish into the thin air of
exponential time or other complexities. I am reminded of the Feb 15
posting by Steve Perry which contained the scary (to me) sentence. "We
mostly use text editors for developing ontologies because we've
occasionally found Protege to be unstable with large complicated OWL
models.". (*)

Bob

(*)In fairness to Steve, who is way more qualified than I in these
matters, on Feb 20 he posted a rather detailed analysis which makes me
question my belief about the main utility of RDF where he writes:

"For the same reason I think the primary use case is not
inference over OWL-described RDF, but search over flexible RDF-Schema
described data models.  I personally think that RDF might make some use
cases, especially the merge case, easier to handle.  So I'd like to see
further discussion of the use cases above for both XML Schema and RDF."

Alas, my finding his arguments convincing does nothing to assuage my
terrors. If biologist-friendly OWL tools are lacking for non-toy
ontology development, it is likely that biologist-friendly tools for
RDF/RDFS are not-even on the production-quality horizon.

--
Robert A. Morris
Professor of Computer Science