[Tdwg-tag] RDF instead of xml schema

Bob Morris ram at cs.umb.edu
Mon Mar 27 16:34:28 CEST 2006

Actually, that stuff is NOT part of SDD, it is part of the (discussion
suspended? defunct? certainly out of date) UBIF. See
http://www.diversitycampus.net/Projects/TDWG-SDD/Minutes/2004NZ_schema/DocuOverview.html

Of course, part of the "you need the schema" defect of XML is that URIs
alone without resolution won't let you validate the schema against the
schema-for-schemas. A sane validating parser will always do this,
because validating against an invalid schema is likely to leave you with
instance documents claimed to be valid, but which break schema-driven
tools that depend on "schema" meaning "valid schema". One doesn't
encounter this very much if one is handcrafting, instead of generating,
XML applications against a particular schema because one (dangerously)
works to the particular schema, and so much about XML instances
documents don't depend on validity. [In particular, it's about as easy
to write silly code  to work against silly XML as it is to write the
silly XML in the first place]

Bob